Compare and Contrast
What is Compare and Contrast Essay?
When you are perusing the higher study, there is a great significance to the compare and contrast essays to get good control over your lesson. When you are practising a specific subject at your university or college, you often need to write the essays to compare and contrast the different aspects of what you are studying; not just when you are taking the composition courses. In this type of essays, you will have to discuss the differences and the comparisons equally on the basis of two subjects. These are to identify exact contrast and comparison between both topics. Comparison essays are to record only the similarities or also both the dissimilarities and similarities. But the contrast essay mainly focuses on the differences.
Deep Insight to Understand the Essay
For instance, if you are pursuing a course of social study, your class must be working on a specific unit about the living area of the people, urban, rural and suburban. Your teacher will assign the topic to compare the life of the different city to the life on the farm. There will be some instructions for you that the essay should compare both, provide the contrasts and also the similarities in both types of living. It will prove that the writer or the student understand the exact differences between two diverse types of life and living.
These types of essays clarify something that is quite unknown and not properly understood. So, it is for leading to the fresh insight or discovering a completely new way with a new outlook. The compare and contrast essay brings both of the topics in a sharper focus to show that the one topic is better than the other but these two have some similar points to compare. Same points will converge there for both of the subjects but this is not always obligatory to give two subjects on a similar notch of augmentation.
Definition of Compare and Contrast Essays
These are the multi-paragraph writing composition that explains the right ways and how two topics are different and similar. Compare means describing the resemblances. If you are writing about the village life and city life, you need to consider at least one paragraph about the similarities between both and what common elements observable are there. Contrast means the differences between two subjects and how the city life is vastly different from the village life.
Compare and contrast essays can easily cover any topics and that may pop up in various areas of topics. In order to have their decision what to comprise or what not, a writer needs to keep in mind the relevance. Relevance can help them to understand the characteristics that are worth to compare and contrast. Every student or the writer requires a good thesis statement to decide the irrelevance or relevance. This will help the writer to keep the writing very much focused on few ideas based on the entire topic. For the compare and contrast essays, it is important to research deep to find the dissimilarities and similarities.
1. How Do You Write A Compare And Contrast Essay?
Most of the students’ dread of the two important words compare and contrast. The topic of the essay is a two for but basically, you need to write two essays in one. There are few pointers and tips thankfully for helping you to get your compare and contrast essay smoothly written and also finish off without having to pull the all-nighter. If you find writing compare contrast essay as challenging and unmanageable, you can choose to buy compare and contrast essay from custom essay writing service online.
Once you start the essay to write, you will finally realize that the essay writes itself. What you need to do is just fill in your clear ideas whether you are narrating the topic closet your heart or maybe arguing the point of view. Let your thought flow easily and naturally in a flowing, logical fashion. You can find professional cheap essay writing service online aimed at helping students who don’t have any idea about compare contrast essay. Here are some useful tips to write your essays:
- Start With the Topic Start the process by analyzing the topic of the essay. Usually, you will need to contrast and compare a specific subject of two principles like the comparing and contrasting different characters in a certain study book. Read the book or at least go through by the subject matter. You can pick two different subjects, which are quite same in “category” and have some disparities in a significant way. You may choose two subjects, which don’t have such common things apparently but have some surprising similarities.
- Organize After identifying the topics, focus more to decide which are the potential similarities and dissimilarities. This is the best way to put across the ideas effectively on that particular topic and making a connection with the reader. So, organize your essay in a divide or alternative pattern. Alternate the details from a side of your comparison or oppose the other, each time by giving the specific details that support both the comparison and your subject.
- Discuss the Subject Matter in a Meaningful Way Present your thoughts in a meaningful way and keep the process on by giving the differences and similarities with the straight sentences. Show your point and in compare and contrast essay. The point is generally how you are differentiating two things by giving the uniqueness of it and why these are unique.
- Make a Draft To make the essay flawless, make an outline first. This will certainly serve as your organizing tool. Your draft will make the entire process more manageable. You can start it by sorting out the variables that you have identified. Be well informed always about the topic and add credibility to the work.
- Body After making the draft, be ready to use your outline as your guide for writing. Write separate paragraphs by devoting each of them to a single point of comparison. Don’t be worried about the continuity at this point. Add the topic sentences with every paragraph to summarize the idea of the paragraph. Concentrate on only one topic at a time. Create coherent argument between the paragraphs and use connective phrases or transitional sentences.
- Introduction And Conclusion In the introduction portion, give a clear idea about the essay to your reader and make the conclusion perspective. Make a perfect closure of entire writing with the message that you want to convey to your reader. Finally, make it readable and a clear piece of your thought.
- Proofreading And Editing None of the writers can ignore the proofreading and editing process. Your essay ends with proofreading and editing. You don’t consider that your essay finishes with writing it and you need to o through your entre paper to identify if it is written accurately and also with no spelling and grammar errors.
2. Compare And Contrast Essay In Academic Life
Compare and contrast essay has a major role to play in a student’s career or in another word these are one type of assignment that served as the introductory tutorial. With these types of essays, a student can understand the importance of comparative views and can reflect the comparative thinking in the classroom. Compare and contrast essay writing is actually an indispensable part of an academic career that a student cannot just overlook. These kinds of essays demand a certain type of writing skills from the part of a writer. The paper, compare and contrast are more applied in the academic context.
- For Deep Reading In student life, most of the students score low just because they lack the process of deep or thorough reading of the study material. They trust more on the suggestion based reading. But if the college assigns the compare and contrast essays for the students they need to read more because it is really tough to find what points are contrasting and what comparing in two different topics. With a depth of knowledge and deep reading, it is possible to enhance your knowledge.
- Grow The Deep Insight When are writing the compare and contrast essay, you will find some new insights of a topic that is generally very difficult to find out. To write the essays, you need to reflect your experiences with a perfect strategy of comparative thinking. A good essay is the reflection of a student’s unique thought.
- Researching Ability To write a compare and contrast essay, a student needs to research more and more beyond their study materials or lessons. In order to write these types of essays they will learn how to explore the principles, research and the classroom phases in an effective way. Custom essay writing service can help you to research for your paper and write a good paper based on the research as well.
- Model Lesson With the help of the contrast and compare essays, one should learn to create a model lesson with a perfect strategy of compare and contrast. If you would like to write the essays, you need to learn such learning model because finding the similarities and similarities from the different topic is really tough and only with the model study, one can reach their writing goal easily.
- Examining The Students Work Compare and contrast essay can help the teachers to examine the range of the student’s work, which demonstrates their comparative thinking.
- To Bring Out The Natural Thoughts Of The Students Another importance of these types of essays is it can bring out the natural thoughts of the students. Students may strengthen their ability to remember the key contents by focus more on analyzing two different ideas.
- Develops the Habits of Mind Of The Students Writing the compare and contrast essays for the students is more like a tool that grows up the habits of the mind and enhances the student’s ability of comprehension.
- Develop The Higher Thinking Compare and contrast essays are more important in the academic life because it helps the students to nurture their higher thinking as they need to find out the contrast and comparison from the same pair of topics and give them clarity to view their lessons in a new light. However, if you consider that it is beyond your capability, get help from the cheap essay writing service and they will do the job for you in a perfect way.
3. Compare And Contrast Essay Improves Writing Knowledge And Skills
Compare and contrast writing is more difficult and different types of writing than rest of the expository formats. But, finally, it requires more practice to gain knowledge and excellence in writing. Remember that efficiency in writing comes for a student by improving their writing skills and also by practising it. The compare and contrast strategy can strengthen the writing skills by providing one simple structure, which helps the students to organize different information and improve the ideas with excellent precision and clarity.
- Write Through Knowledge To write the compare and contrast essay in the academic level, you need to have the thorough knowledge of your primary source you deal with. With the process, you can develop a note-taking system and can sort out carefully the secondary sources. Note taking system is very significant because you can learn to pay attention to the keyword that you need to analyze, compare and contrast and define it. This is an amazing practice to bring out the writer in you. By writing these types of essays one should learn to utilize and illustrate the information as well.
- Clarifying The Ideas To enhance the writing skill, you need to learn the process that how to clarify your ideas and how to present it properly on the paper. A best custom essay writing service understands how to manage these sorts of papers with ease. Writing the compare and contrast essays may help a lot in this genre because to contrast and to compare two different topics or subject, the first thing you need to do is the clarification of ideas that come from the depth knowledge.
- Readable Writing A reader prefers the content that is quite readable and comes with an easy flow. Writing like this way is actually a certain fashion that you need to learn. The process of compare and contrast writing is more similar and you need to follow the same structure. So, to present an easy going, simple but informative writing, you need to learn more about the writing fashions and styles. By this way, you can enhance your knowledge about writing and in addition, the writing skill.
- Critical Analysis The basic skill that you need to write the compare and contrast essay is your ability of critical analysis of any topic. After an excellent research work and after having depth knowledge you can go for the analyzing process easily. To be a good writer, you need talent along with patience.
- Organization And Planning After having some notes and gathering some major information by a thorough research, you need to organize your entire collection for creating a flawless compare and contrast essay. It is important to know that what to include for comparison and what not. You may search the internet, explore libraries or can depend on the class notes but the final task is to write it in a proper manner by including only the important facts. Cheap essay writing service has expert essay writers who can deal with your paper and ease your stress. It is majorly important to enhance your writing skill and knowledge.
- Say Goodbye To The Boring Stuff With the process of writing the compare and contrast essays, another most important thing that you can learn is how to get rid of the boring and unnecessary stuff. For a flawless writing, you need to concentrate and include only the valuable points. This is the key to success of a writer too.
For students, writing is a common and very important task to deal with at some point in their school, college and university years. None of the students can take academic writing very lightly. There are some expert essay writers who can help you with your academic papers if you find it is testing for you. Best essay writing service can do the job for you quite easily and also lets you to keep away from writing tensions, struggles and stress.Free Draft Order Now Price Calculator
Let's talk about compare/contrast essays. Now, I find these to be some of the most difficult types of essays to write because it's hard to know where you're going and exactly how you're going to tell the similarities and differences between two things. So a couple of vocabulary things to straighten out first. When you're given an essay, if you're asked just to compare, all they want to know is the similarities, so compare means how they're the same. If you're asked to contrast two things, then you're being asked to tell people how they are different. So just be aware, when you're doing compare/contrast, sometimes you may be asked to compare or contrast, sometimes you may be asked to do both. So you've got to really be aware of your prompt there.
Here are the steps that I tend to go through when I'm working compare/contrast; the first thing that I do is select my topics and make sure I understand the task. So that is selecting which two things I'm going to use in my essay and then understanding am I being asked to compare, contrast or do both of those. So that's the first important step. And then the next step is to pre-write and develop categories. So obviously if we're talking about how things are similar and different, we are going to start categorizing the ways that they are similar or different. For instance, if we are comparing pizzas, we might say crust is one category that we're going to look at, sauce might be another and the variety of toppings might be another. So you can start thinking about what those categories should be.
My two favorite modes of pre-writing for compare/contrast is a Venn diagram and you may remember that from math class, the two circles that run together, you can put topic one here, topic two here and then how they're different in here and how they're similar in the middle, so that's one. I'm also a chart person so I don't mind chart especially if I've got a lot of categories and my chart might look something like this and I will have a row for each particular category. So crust, sauce and then I divide it down the middle and I seal those in. So it depends on how you like to look at things, I tend to be a little bit more organized so I like the chart the best but after I've got all these ideas down here, now I want to develop a thesis. And this is really the critical part in compare/contrast because it's really easy to say, "Well, Monical's pizza has thin crust and Giodonalds pizza has thick crust, but you want to make sure that you're answering the 'so what?' question. So you've got to come to some sort of conclusion, it's not just about saying how things are similar or how they are different but why is that important. So maybe Giodonalds is a better place to entertain people or to take people from out of town because you can get thin crust pizza anywhere. Whatever it is you've got to come to that conclusion so you can insert it in your thesis and then after that you've got to think about how you're going to organize your essay. And let's take a look at the two different ways that you can organize a compare/contrast essay.
Now, the first one is point by point. And essentially what that means is it's going to be guided by those categories that you created. So you're going to have multiple sections of your paper; one for each of the categories that you have and in each section you're going to use examples from both topics. So you might talk about crust here, and in this paragraph or set of paragraphs you're going to talk about the crust at Giodonalds and you're going to talk about the crust at Monical's. And then you move on to the next category and so on and so forth until you've talked about all your categories and given all your examples. The important thing to remember if you choose point by point is that you're going to want to make sure you do analysis within each category; so once you talk about crust, you're going to have to come to a conclusion about crust, once you talk about sauce, come to that conclusion that all goes back to your thesis. So the analysis goes throughout.
Now, some of you guys may choose block formatting. And block formatting simply means that it's guided by topic rather than category. So you're going to start with an introduction and then you're going to introduce topic one. So in this case it might be Monical's, which is my favorite kind of pizza. And what you're going to do in this area, and it could consist of multiple paragraphs, is you're going to give multiple examples from just that one topic. So the first part of my paper is going to be focused on Monical's whereas the second will be focused on Giodonalds, and I'm going to give multiple examples about Giodonalds here. One thing to know then is because you're not doing much analysis inside these paragraphs because you're sticking to just one topic, you're conclusion has got to include your analysis where you're really coming down to that 'so what?' question you're answering now, the one that you answered in your thesis statement you're repeating down here. So those are the two ways to organize compare/contrast. Make sure again that you understand the task, know are you being asked to compare or contrast or do both and hopefully this will help you get started.